This guide (downloadable version) enables you to fully utilise the Assessment feature of Milk, as is seen below by students and parents using Milk mobile app.
Assessment aspects displayed in Milk:
- Subject Current Grade
- grades attained from recent assessment
- Subject Target Grade
- grade target for end-of-year or end-of-key-stage
- Subject Comments
- written reports and feedback
Colour coding assessment results in Milk:
- Current grade below target grade = red
- Current grade equals target grade = amber
- Current grade above target grade = green
More colour coding rules:
- When current grade equals target grade of ‘A’ = green
- Current grade ‘A*’ or GCSE grade ‘9’ = blue
All assessment data is taken from SIMS mark sheets:
The following steps will help you to configure SIMS.net mark sheet templates to display assessment data in Milk.
To displaying Assessment data in Milk using a different MIS, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
We recommend using SIMS Assessment Manager to compile written reports if you intend to display written reports in Milk.
Please note, using SIMS Teacher Comments for Profile may not be suitable for displaying written reports in Milk because its export and print limitations currently prevent data managers being able to effectively import Teacher Comment for Profile into SIMS mark sheets.
How to configure SIMS.net mark sheet templates for Milk
To display assessment data in Milk, the first thing you need to do is create a ‘mark sheet template’ in SIMS.
- Login to net
- Go to Focus -> Assessment and click on Template
- Click on New
- When creating a new template, it must be labeled in the following way:
For example, to display Year 7 reports in Milk to Year 7 students and parents, you would create a template with the name MilkApp::Report::Year7
- Below is an example of a mark sheet template (note how the column headers contain the aspect name using separators, e.g., Milk::English::Target
- Under Template Columns click New
- Select Add Columns for Data Review.
- Click Next.
- Click the ‘Magnifying Glass’ .
- What you see next is list of columns and corresponding ‘aspects’.
Column Heading and Aspect Name must be absolutely identical. Separators (::) must be used for template to work in Milk as follows:
To display Current Grades for English, Column Heading and Aspect Name must be:
- Select the subject Result Sets you wish to display in Milk for all Year 7 students, then click Select
- Select the Aspect that contains the data you wish to display, for example, Milk::English::Current
- Click Finish
- Go to the Categories Section
- Expand CES Assessment Services
- Tick the Export category under Wonde. (see How to add the Category for Wonde below)
- Click Save
- You have now enabled the ‘mark sheet template’ to be exported to Milk. Milk will update and display Assessment data after the next Wonde sync with SIMS
How to add the Category for Wonde
The following instructions detail how to set up the assessment data extraction from SIMS to Wonde. You will need to be logged into SIMS on an account that has access to manage the assessment data and to set this up.
- To create the category in SIMS please navigate to Tools > Performance > Assessment > Category
- Right click on "CES Assessment Services”, click on "Add Category Type" and call it "Wonde"
- Right click on the Wonde category, click "Add Category" and enter "Export" as the category name. It should look similar to the example below
- Once this is done please press “Save” at the top to apply this category
Once this category has been set up then you will need to assign the templates to use the Wonde Export component. You can do this by editing the template and then ticking the box next to Wonde.
To edit the template in SIMS please navigate to Focus > Assessment > Template
Locate the name of the report and click to open it.
Go down to section “4 Categories” and click the “+” to open “CES Assessment Services” and then again for "Wonde" and then tick the box for the “Export” category and press save.
This will allow Wonde to extract the data within this template on the next data request.